Parent Volunteer Roles
Locker Room Monitor (LRM)
Who can be a LRM?
Any gender-appropriate adult (19 and over) affiliated with the team can be a LRM. Head Coaches, Assistant Coaches and Managers should not be the Locker Room Monitor. Any team that is co-ed should have two LRMs - one male and one female.
- Adult presence when coaches are not present
- Second adult at any meeting needed with a player - no Team Staff member should ever be alone in a locker room with a player who is not their own child
- Escort injured or ejected players to the locker room until a parent can be summoned
- Actively supervise by periodically and randomly enter locker room to ensure activities such as pictures and inappropriate behavior do not occur (LRMs are not required to continuously be in the locker room before/after games and practices)
- May collect cell phones and other devices at door of the locker room until after the practice or game (team decision reached jointly by parents and coaching staff)
- Additional COVID-19 precautions, as needed
Spectator Behavior Monitor (SBM)
Who can be a SBM?
Any adult (19 and over) affiliated with the team can be a SBM. Head Coaches, Assistant Coaches and Managers should not be the SBM. NYSAHA, West Section and WNYAHL have made this mandatory.
- Monitor all team games
- Address inappropriate spectator behavior prior to the situation escalating to the point it has an impact on the game, including: 1) use of obscene or vulgar language in a boisterous manner; 2) taunting by means of baiting, ridiculing, threats or physical violence; 3) throwing objects in spectator's viewing area, player's bench, penalty box or on-ice surface, creating a safety hazard
- Remove any spectator in violation of the Zero Tolerance Policy (full support from WYHA and arena management).
USA Hockey Policy
“It is the policy of USA Hockey that all Affiliates, Districts, leagues, and local hockey programs have at least one responsible adult present directly monitoring the locker room during all team events to assure that only participants, (coaches and players), approved team personnel and family members are permitted in the locker room and to supervise the conduct in the locker room.”
LRM and SBM Registration
LRMs and SBMs must register with USA Hockey as a Manager/Volunteer (free), take the online SafeSport Training (free) and be screened every other season (cost is reimbursable and submitted as part of the team staff reimbursement process.