How to Make Ice Requests
The following is a series of templates used to make Ice Requests.
These are provided so teams and the Ice Scheduler can effectively work together.
ALL ICE from 7/29 thru 5/1 MUST BE BOOKED THROUGH the WYHA ICE Scheduler.
NOTE: all rinks will contact the WYHA Ice Scheduler to guarantee payment so booking your own ice just creates additional work both for the rink schedulers and for the WYHA Ice Scheduler.
All requests should be made via email with your TEAM NAME/COACH in the Subject Line.
Requests made via phone or text may not be granted without followup email.
Requests made without a team name in the subject line of the email can result in lost requests.
Ice Scheduler is Nick Tochelli email@example.com Webmaster/Ice Billing is Jeanne Barreca (firstname.lastname@example.org)
11/1-3/2019 Girls Fire on Ice (plan on playing away, there is no ice in Rochester)
3/6-8 & 3/13-15 Boulter Tournament (tentative - most rinks will have Tournaments in Rochester)
2/27-3/1 Empire Playoffs (affects all rinks in Rochester)
All Sunday afternoons due to Gliding Stars, Open Skate & Webster Skating School (2:30 to 6:15pm)
- Schedule scrimmages early in the
season and play your league games after your team has played several
Do not schedule scrimmages late in the season (after Christmas for 9U-14U, after 10/15 for Midgets). Scrimmages scheduled late in the season are more likely to be cancelled by your opponent especially if the weather is bad or the team has to reschedule a league game.
Leave open dates in January and February (Travel Midgets leave open dates after 10/15) in case games need to be rescheduled (NOTE: WNYAHL does not accept the excuse that your families have already made plans for the open days, scheduling of League required games takes precedence, using these types of weak excuses will result in a forfeit and the huge fines associated with forfeits).
- As soon as your league games are all scheduled, begin scheduling scrimmages. Your goal should be to have ALL games (league & scrimmage) scheduled before you walk into the Scheduling Meeting. The longer you wait to schedule scrimmages, the less likely you will be able to find an opponent for your scrimmage slots.
- WYHA recommends you schedule all but one of your budgeted game slots (and return the rest immediately after the scheduling meeting). If a team cancels on you and you have to use the ice for practice, you still have one in reserve to use to reschedule the game. If you get a phone call from a team you want to play later in the season, you then have the last game slot to use to play them. If your team does not qualify for playoffs (or does but you have an open weekend before playoffs), then use your last game slot to schedule a scrimmage. Contact the ice scheduler following the process below to get a game slot.
1) Blackout Dates (ALL TEAMS):
Blackout dates are ONLY allowed for Tournaments. Tournament Blackout Dates should be sent to the Webmaster (email@example.com) using the templates below for entry into your website until managers get access to team websites & websites are made public/assigned.
Once Team Managers have access to Team Websites, managers should enter Tournament Blackout Dates as GAMES so they show up on the Ice Schedulers display. The opponent for a Travel Day should be "TBD-Travel Day" (only for Tournaments more than 4 hours away) and the opponent for Tournament Days should be "TBD-Tournament". Also, an Event of Type "OTHER" should be entered which contains the Tournament Name & Organizer (example MyHockey Roch Rumble).
Teams should not Blackout Holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, Christmas Eve, NY Eve, ...). Game Ice will be assigned excluding Tournament Blackouts & Holidays when the rink is not open. Teams who identify excessive Blackouts will result in Blackout over-rides.
EXAMPLE #1 Tournament Blackout Request (local/Buffalo/Syracuse/Niagara Falls Tournament)
Tournament Name: Rochester Rumble
Tournament Organizer (org or company): MyHockey
Tournament Location: Rochester
Dates (including travel days): October 12-14 Fri-Sun (local, no travel days)
EXAMPLE #2 Tournament Blackout Request (out of town, more than 4 hours away)
Tournament Name: Pittsburgh Classic
Tournament Organizer (org or company): MyHockey
Tournament Location: Pittsburgh
Dates (including travel days): November 10-12 Sat-Mon (travel day Friday November 9)
Note Thursday 11/8 and Tuesday 11/13 are NOT allowable exclusions. Travel days are only allowed when travel is required the evening before when games can start before 3 PM and teams have to travel more than 4 hours. Tournaments end by 5 PM on the last day so teams will be back in Rochester by late evening, therefore Travel Days are not allowed after the Tournament ends.
2) ICE CANCELLATION POLICY (ALL TEAMS)
- NO cancellations once assigned. Full season is rolled out by October.
WYHA does not allow practice day/time requests. Younger teams get earlier time slots, older teams get later time slots.
Teams with conflicts should switch with another team then email the ice Scheduler to have the website changed and the rink notified. Depending on the timing of the change, the rinks may not be able to make the changes in assignments.
- Occasional changes due to High School Game Scheduling may occur after practice schedules are assigned. If the changes occur within two weeks of the practice, managers will be notified by the Ice Scheduler. Managers should remind parents to check the Team Website at least monthly for practice schedule changes!
- After all teams receive their ice and go thru their respective scheduling meetings, any cancellations create holes in the ice schedule. WYHA expects teams to utilize the ice they are given for games at their scheduling meetings and promptly return any unused ice (i.e. return right after Scheduling Meetings). Teams are expected to efficiently get their league games and scrimmages scheduled early in the season.
Teams holding onto to ice to setup scrimmages own this ice and it is not cancellable or exchangeable one week after scheduling. WYHA plans ice usage and should not be expected to find somebody else for the ice because teams do not quickly get their scrimmages scheduled (once league scheduling occurs, most teams will have full schedules so waiting means you will not be able to find opponents). Teams who HAVE opponents and have negotiated potential dates and wish to schedule additional scrimmages (or reschedule a game due to weather) after scheduling should use the process below. The Webster Rink has rules for cancellations of ice and requires a minimum of 30 days of notice. WYHA will try to work with teams to sell ice within WYHA but there are no guarantees a team will take the ice as most teams are fully scheduled once all the scheduling meetings occur so teams should be prepared to use any cancelled slots within 30 days for extra practice.
Opposing Team Cancellations: Teams should warn opposing teams that finding other ice to replace the game slot will not be easy and your team/opponent should be prepared to be flexible (Note: all leagues support this policy, some leagues impose fines for rescheduling games). Late night and early game slots may be all that is available even at other rinks. After Sept 30, ice at Webster may not be available. Game ice at other rinks, once booked for WYHA teams by the WYHA Ice Scheduler will be subject to those rinks cancellation policies. The ice scheduler will advise the team of the policy, if any, at the time of booking.
3) ICE REQUESTS for Scrimmages / Re-Scheduled Games / Additional Practices
a. Game Ice Requests: after League Scheduling is completed or after 9/30 (or independent teams) should use the following Template and email the Ice Scheduler with their Team Name in the Email Subject Line. WYHA expects teams to schedule their games for the season in a timely manner (i.e. within several days after their league scheduling occurs), however recognizes opportunities to play more games occasionally come up after their season scheduling is completed or Game Cancellation situations occur. In most cases, ice for these games will not be available at Webster and teams should be prepared to be flexible on rink and time (NOTE: requests made within 30 days of the game date generally have much less choice available).
Teams who exceed their game allotments will be billed.
Game Ice Request Template:
TEAM: 14U Coach YYY
GAME DATES: 11/14, 12/13, 1/6 (already negotiated with opponent, list at least 2)
OPPONENT: Albany 14U
CONFLICTS (i.e. other games already scheduled): Playing PYH at 10 AM on 12/13, Playing Batavia on 11/14 at 1 PM
b. Adding More Practices: Teams who wish to add more practices should email the Ice Scheduler giving as much notice as possible (30+ days is recommended), put their TEAM NAME/COACH in the Subject Line of the email and use the following template. WYHA schedules all teams for practice ice to fully utilize their team allotment for practice ice. Teams who request additional practice will be billed.
EXAMPLE PRACTICE ICE REQUEST:
TEAM: 12U Coach YYY
DATE: Week of November 6-10
FULL/SHARED PREFERENCE: 1 full ice practice (1 hour is standard, non standard slots are very difficult to find)
(Note: if requesting Shared Practice, identify the team who will be sharing with your team for billing purposes)